Pages

My attempts at cooking, baking and sharing those experiences with you.

Sunday, March 4, 2012

Pistachio Cupcakes with Pistachio Swiss Meringue Buttercream Icing


So it appears that I have committed the ultimate blogging crime. Establish a dedicated group of followers by blogging regularly, and then falling off the face of the earth. I always said I wouldn't do that, and, alas, I did. :( I apologize for my negligent care of my blog. The reason I haven't blogged in almost a month? Well, yes, I was very busy. But beyond that I started realizing that I was beginning to find my blog more of a hassle than I believe it was meant to be. I was blogging to gain followers, to get more comments, to up blog popularity. I spent way too much time critiquing my photos and comparing my food blog to others, that it became an extra stress that I didn't need. But, I'm back. Partially because I'm doing a cooking class at our church tomorrow and need to blog this recipe for that, but also because I kind of miss it. :) While I cannot guarantee 4-5 consistent new posts a week, I can tell you that I hope to be more consistent sharing my creations. And here's one of them:

Pistachio Cupcakes:

This is insanely easy, especially if you are someone who struggles with measurements, as I do. Preheat oven to 350. 1 box of your fav white cake mix, 1 cup of vegetable/canola oil, 1 cup of club soda, 1 3.4 oz box of pistachio pudding (instant), and 3 eggs.

Throw them all in a bowl. Just like that. Looks gross but kinda awesome, doesn't it?

Using mixer, mix until combined. If you want your cuppies to be more green, add additional food coloring while mixing.

Fill cupcake tins 2/3 of the way full.

Bake 15-20 minutes, or until tops are slightly brown.
Cool your cakes! I made 90 of them. I know, I'm ridiculous. My husband agrees.

Swiss Meringue Buttercream:

Okay, while the cupcakes were brainlessly easy, the icing is a little more time consuming. Even so, if you are like me, and super picky about your icing, you may want to venture out. I HATE plan buttercream. It's thick, and I feel like I'm eating straight confectionary sugar and butter. EW. And while I totally prefer a whipped icing-nice and light-I also hate that it has to be refrigerated, and that can be a hassle. So this is sort of the best of both worlds. It's a lighter, fluffier version of buttercream that I can actually enjoy and doesn't have to be refrigerated! 



Prior to starting frosting. You'll need 4 sticks of unsalted butter at room temperature. This doesn't mean pull them out 30 min before starting icing, this means at least 2-4 hours. Cut into tablespoon sized pieces. 
Separate 5 egg whites. Save the yolks for gelato! Or creme brûlée!
Bring medium saucepan to a simmer. In a heatproof bowl combine 5 egg whites, 1 cup plus two TBLS of sugar, and a pinch of salt. Whisk constantly until mixture is warm to touch and not grainy.

Ingredients prior to whisking 

Ingredients after whisking. Warm, smooth, and slightly frothy. 


Attach bowl to mixer fitted with a whisk attachment. Start on low, gradually working up to medium-high speed. Whisk until mixture is fluffy and glossy (as pictured) and stiff peaks begin to form. 


Turn mixer on medium-low speed and gradually add in a few tablespoons of butter at a time. Allow butter to incorporate before adding additional butter.





After fully incorporated, don't freak out if your mixture looks like cottage cheese! It'll get better, I promise. :)
Add box of pistachio pudding mix and almond extract. Remove whisk attachment and put on paddle attachment. 


Put mixer on low for 2-4 minutes to allow everything to incorporate. Icing will start looking more like icing!


Here's what it will look like! Light and fluffy but definitely workable. 
Add icing to piping bag or zip lock bag, snip off the end like so.


If you want to get fancy, take some pistachios (please shell before, people don't want to eat shells)


Place 'stachios in a food processor (or you can put em in a plastic bag and hammer them, that's always fun!)



Chop them up! Be careful not to pulverize them, you don't want 'stachio dust!

Here's the 'stachio cuppies for my cooking class. Well, some of them. Like I said, I made 90 altogether.  Just in time for St. Patty's day!
Didn't this frosting turn out gorgeous? Oh my, this isn't a pic from a cook book, I am proud to say I took this myself!

So here's the recipes:

Pistachio Cupcakes

Ingredients:
1 box of white cake mix
1 3.4 oz box of instant pistachio pudding
1 cup of club soda
1 cup of vegetable/canola oil
3 whole eggs

Directions:
Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Mix all ingredients and beat until combined (approx. 3 minutes on low setting). Pour batter into cupcake tins and bake for 18-22 minutes. Yield approximately 24 cupcakes.



Pistachio Swiss Meringue Buttercream Icing
Ingredients:
5 large egg whites
1 cup plus 2 tablespoons sugar
Pinch of salt
1 pound (4 sticks) unsalted butter, cut into tablespoons, room temperature
1 1/2 teaspoons almond extract
1 3.4 oz box of pistachio pudding

Directions:
Combine egg whites, sugar, and salt in the heatproof bowl of a standing mixer set over a pan of simmering water. Whisk constantly by hand until mixture is warm to the touch and sugar has dissolved (the mixture should feel completely smooth when rubbed between your fingertips).

Attach the bowl to the mixer fitted with the whisk attachment. Starting on low and gradually increasing to medium-high speed, whisk until stiff (but not dry) peaks form. Continue mixing until the mixture is fluffy and glossy, and completely cool (test by touching the bottom of the bowl), about 10 minutes.

With mixer on medium-low speed, add the butter a few tablespoons at a time, mixing well after each addition. Once all butter has been added, whisk in almond extract and box of pistachio pudding. Switch to the paddle attachment, and continue beating on low speed until all air bubbles are eliminated, about 2 minutes. Scrape down sides of bowl with a flexible spatula, and continue beating until the frosting is completely smooth. Keep buttercream at room temperature if using the same day, or store in refrigerator up to 3 days.

(Optional) To tint buttercream, reserve some for toning down the color, if necessary. Add gel-paste food color, a drop at a time (or use the toothpick or skewer to add food color a dab at a time) to the remaining buttercream. You can use a single shade of food color or experiment by mixing two or more. Blend after each addition with the mixer (use a paddle attachment) or a flexible spatula, until desired shade is achieved. Avoid adding too much food color too soon, as the hue will intensify with continued stirring; if necessary, you can tone down the shade by mixing in some reserved untinted buttercream. Yields 5 cups of icing, approximately enough to cover 48 cupcakes.


So, these cupcakes are a sure win to impress your friends. They may be hesitant, feeling that pistachio-related foods are just for the elderly, but you will soon prove them wrong. Make these for St. Patrick's Day, and you won't even need food coloring! These babies are perfect for early spring. And if you feel that the icing is too much of a challenge, you can easily buy store bought icing. Try chocolate icing!





1 comment: