Pages

My attempts at cooking, baking and sharing those experiences with you.

Tuesday, December 6, 2011

Award Winning White Chicken Chili

Chili is essential for cold weather.

But sometimes the same old red bean chili gets old.

I got this recipe from my Dad several years ago, and I have made it at least 5-10x a season ever since.

I say it's award winning because my dad used it for several chili cook-offs and it won every time.

So, as the weather begins to get cold, cook this up for your friends or fam, they will be impressed for sure.


First you'll need 1 lb of chicken breast, 1 medium onion, 1 tbl of olive oil, and garlic powder. I was all out, so I used garlic salt and then just cut down on salt later. 
Chop up your onion and cube your chicken (about 1/2"). I hate touching chicken, and I am a super germ freak when it comes to the kitchen. So make sure you wash your hands and keep your counter clean! 

In a large pot over medium-high heat, add olive oil and sauté chicken and onion until no longer pink. Added garlic powder (see why it's called white chili?).

Here's what you'll need for the next step: 2 cans of Northern Beans, 1 cup of chicken broth, 1 tsp salt, 1 tsp ground cumin, 1 tsp dried oregano, 1/2 tsp pepper, 1 small can of chopped green chilis, 1/4 tsp of cayenne pepper. 

Here's where you can control the heat. If you aren't a big fan of spiciness, cut down on the green chilies and cayenne. If you love the spice, add more. Add all ingredients and bring to a boil. Then reduce to a simmer and leave uncovered for 30 min.

This is what separates this chili from other white chili you may have tried in restaurants. After 30 min are up, add 1 cup  of sour cream and 1/2 cup of whipping cream. This creates a great tangy, southwestern flavor. It also cuts down on some of the spice. 

Let new ingredients simmer for another 5-10 minutes.

Serve with some rustic bread. We chose whole wheat sourdough. 

This yields 6 bowls, but somehow Shawn and I are able to pretty much finish it off. You will definitely want more!

YUM! Now I'm hungry.

Over the years we've made this for TONS of people, and I've never had a complaint except for people wanting more!


White Chili

Saute:
1 lb. chicken breast 1/2" cubed
1 medium onion chopped
1 1/2 tsp. garlic powder
1 tbl. oil

Saute until Chicken is no longer pink, about 15-20 min

Then add:
2 can Northern Beans (rinsed and drained)
1 cup chicken broth
1 tsp. salt
1 tsp. ground cumin
1 tsp. dried oregano
1/2 tsp. pepper
1 small can chopped green chilies
1/4 tsp cayenne pepper

Bring to boil then let simmer uncovered for 30 minutes
then add:
1 cup sour cream
1/2 cup whipping cream

Let cook for another 5-10 minutes
Yields 6 bowls


1 comment:

  1. This is close to a recipe I make that is awesome as well. I buy a rotisserie chicken, pull the meat off the bone and coarsely chop it. Then I don't have to cook the chicken. I also use one can of great northern and one can of garbanzos. I don't use cream or sour cream in mine, but I'll give that a try! Oh yeah, I also add 2 cups of grated Colby Jack at the end!

    ReplyDelete