Pages

My attempts at cooking, baking and sharing those experiences with you.

Sunday, December 4, 2011

Repurposed Christmas Decorating


It's that time of the year! Christmas decorating. We put our tree up a few weeks ago actually, but I am just getting around to adding some additional touches to our home.

Being that my internship isn't paid, things are a little tight this year. That means, getting creative when it comes to my home decor.

Decorations can be ridiculously expensive, so I decided to cut corners by repurposing some old decorations.

Oh, and when it comes to being creative, I honestly lack in this area. If I see something I like, I can usually copy it. But to come up with a crazy idea out of the blue, well, I struggle with that.

Also, I don't like things that take hours and hours to do. I'd rather throw something together and have it look awesome, than slave over a glue gun and some felt to decorate.

If you can relate to anything above, read on.....


I posted pictures of my Fall/Thanksgiving centerpiece, and here is my Christmas one. Super simple, just decorate with the color balls you choose. This looks really awesome when the candle is lit and the lights are dim.






Coffee table decor. I used a plastic planter thing from a centerpiece. 
I took some leftover garland and spread it around the bottom. Then I added some silver ornaments. I love the gold and silver combo, definitely glam.

I got this glass candy holder a couple years back from Walmart. I think I spent like $5 for it. 

Later in the season it will probably hold candy, but for now, it adds some shimmer in my kitchen.

Inside I added 1 silver ball and about 5 purple ones. I like the odd number combo.
So for the past few years I've wanted to buy a nice wreath. The only thing is, they tend to be like $40! I bought this wreath plain (w/o bow) for $5.99. 
I had the red and gold ribbon left over from gifts from past Christmases. I used regular ornament hooks instead of wire to create the bows. If you don't know how to make bows, I'm sure you can find a tutorial online. :) I then took some red balls and bent the ornament hooks around the loop and twisted them onto a wreath branch. 
He still needed some color, so I took some shiny fake poinsettias that I got several years ago from the dollar store (I'm sure they still have something similar) and just stuck them up around the balls.


Now our door is no longer bare! And I only spent $6!
Welcoming, isn't it?

Okay, I have a problem. Old Christmas cards. I never throw them away! So if you've sent us one since we've been married, we still have it. Still unable to part with them, I decided to get a little crafty. My kitchen is definitely lacking in Christmas decor, so I needed something for in there. I decided to take the cards that have images that can be cut out (i.e. the cards cut out on the left) and make ornaments. I then took some beaded garland ($2.99 for 60 ft) and strung my card ornaments by punching holes in the center and using regular tree hooks.

This took a little while to do, but I think it is fun and different. 




Now I can enjoy old cards and get some use out of them. :)

Well that's it for now. We have some huge pine trees at the side of our house and I'm thinking about trimming some of the branches and making impromptu garland. That'll have to wait until the weekend though. Here's a website that has some great ideas for repurposing old Christmas items. 

On Tuesday there will be a new post featuring White Chicken Chili. A super delicious winter chili that I bet is unlike any white chili you've ever had.

:)


2 comments:

  1. Carlie you rock! keep coming with the fun ideas! Laura

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Laura!! See you tomorrow night!

    ReplyDelete