Pages

My attempts at cooking, baking and sharing those experiences with you.

Monday, November 21, 2011

Ginger Pumpkin Cupcakes w/ Cream Cheese Icing



I told myself I wasn't going to bake this weekend. I had a lot to do, and I really shouldn't be baking. But, alas, I bake. This is a fairly easy recipe that has excellent flavor. 

Preheat oven to 350. Gather your dry ingredients: 
  • 2 cups all-purpose flour
  • 1 (3.4 ounce) package instant butterscotch pudding mix
  • 2 teaspoons baking soda
  • 1/4 teaspoon salt
  • 1 tablespoon ground cinnamon
  • 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
  • 1/2 teaspoon ground allspice
  • 1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
  • 1/3 cup finely chopped crystallized ginger
  • *I used 2 teaspoons of pumpkin pie spice and about 1-2 tbls of fresh (well frozen) ginger. Also, I didn't have crystallized ginger.

Combine all dry ingredients, whisk together.

Gather wet ingredients:
  • 1 cup butter, room temperature
  • 1 cup white sugar
  • 1 cup packed brown sugar
  • 4 eggs
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
  • 1 (15 ounce) can pumpkin puree


Beat together butter, sugar, and brown sugar until light and fluffy (this isn't quite there) Incorporate eggs, one at a time, then add vanilla and pumpkin.

It might look a little soupy...

Incorporate dry mixture and stir until just combined.
Fill cupcake tins about 2/3 way full... 
Bake for about 20 min. 

Cream Cheese Icing:

For icing you'll need 1/2 stick of butter, 8 oz of cream cheese (I prefer neufchâtel, it's less fat and often cheaper than cream cheese, but it's exactly like cream cheese) and 2 cups of powdered sugar.

Soften butter and cream cheese. Then using mixer, mix until combined. Next, while mix is on low-medium low speed, slowly add powdered sugar. I also added about 1/2 tsp of pumpkin pie spice. 

Ice your cooled cakes

All iced

Of course, I powdered with some pumpkin pie spice. I know, I'm ridiculous. 

I have a bunch of cinnamon so I broke it down and topped them with little pieces. 

They almost look like logs in the snow!


the end.


Shawn is definitely a fan of these. Perfect for Thanksgiving. Here's where I got the original recipe from.

Happy eating!

1 comment:

  1. Carlie, you are the sweetest, cutest, bestest baker ever! These not only look great but they tasted great too!
    Love your blogs, keep them coming
    Laura

    ReplyDelete