Pages

My attempts at cooking, baking and sharing those experiences with you.

Thursday, July 12, 2012

Skin Care for 20 Somethings

What better way to expand my blog than to write about skin care, right?


Totally random, I know, but it's something that I've been thinking about lately. No, I don't sit around and day dream about skin care, but it is important! I'm 25 (going on 26 this year) and every once in awhile I get this overwhelming fear of getting wrinkles. I know, it may seem shallow, but I guarantee every female thinks about this at some point!


Anyways, here's the on going dilemma. What really works? How do I afford it when I'm on a budget? What's really necessary?


From what I've read, the key to fighting aging in your 20's is MOISTURE. Keeping your skin from drying out is crucial to fighting wrinkles. In your 20's your skin slows down the process of producing the natural oils and whatnot that keep it youthful and that's when cracks can appear.


So, here's what I use (for normal to combination skin). It's all super affordable and I think keeps my skin pretty awesome.


(Going left to right)

  • Equate (Walmart) Microdermabrasion Exfoliating Face Towelettes ($6 for 120 wipes): I'm not a fan of Walmart. But, these are the most affordable and best-working make remover wipes I have found. Up until I got married, I never took my makeup off a night. *gasp* I know, a huge no-no for skin care. If you're anything like me, you know that at night you are typically too tired to go through a long facial cleaning process. These are super cheap and easy. Plus, I love the added texture they have that allows you to really scrub everything off.
  • Equate Daily Regenerating Cleanser ($3.97): This is the generic version of Olay Regenerating Cleanser. I use this in the shower, and I like it because it has somewhat of an exfoilator in it but doesn't dry out your face. Plus the salicylic acid accelerates cell turnover, which helps you look 'youthful' I suppose. And it's a lot more affordable than Olay.
  • Olay All Day Moisturizer with Sunscreen (around $8): Remember how I said moisture is imperative to fighting aging? This is where it starts. Before putting on makeup in the morning, this is my go to moisturizer. It's simple, light weight, not greasy, plus has an SPF, which is VITAL to protecting skin. I find a bottle this size will last me 4-6 months. 
  • Freeman Clay Mask Avocado and Oatmeal ($3.99): I was looking for a good face mask, and this is what all the reviews I read recommended. It's super affordable but definitely cleans out your pores and leaves your skin super smooth. I use this once a week to 2x a month (depending on need). 
The clay mask not only cleans but also works for scaring your husband! :)
  • Boots Expert Sensitive Hydrating Serum (at Target, around $6.50): Not only is it important to moisturize during the day, but also at night. I use this after taking off my makeup every night. It's light weight and leaves my skin smooth and happy in the morning. 
  • Nalgene Water Bottle ($10): Water. The most important way to moisturize your body. Whether I'm home all day or on the go, I have this by my side. I have several water bottles, but I like this one right now because it shows me how much I'm drinking. 2 of these babies equals the daily recommended water intake. 
Well, that's it. Anyone have any other products you highly recommend? 

2 comments:

  1. As a kid, I HATED sunblock (didn't we all?). However, I am the fairest one in my family and have a ton of face freckles as well as, unfortunately, an age spot or two. As a result, I have developed an affection for face sunblock! I used to use Neutrogena's Age Shield FACE formula, but this summer switched to their clear face (break-out free) formula, SPF 55 in both. They might be considered on the pricey side, $8-10 for 3 oz., but they last quite a while and I think it's worth it to protect my skin in the long run! The best part? No greasy feeling so it's perfect over my moisturizer and under my make-up!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ohh I like Neutrogena's stuff too. I should definitely try their SPF, I've had too many bad experiences with greasy sunscreens too, and I try and avoid them (not good, I know). I'll have to check it out! Hope life in Japan is treating you well. :)

      Delete