Pages

My attempts at cooking, baking and sharing those experiences with you.

Sunday, October 9, 2011

Drying Herbs


This year I grew basil, parsley, and rosemary.

I wouldn't say that I have a green thumb, but something I did this year went right. I ended up with tons of rosemary, parsley and basil. 

I decided to attempt and air dry my rosemary and parsley. FYI, you shouldn't air dry basil, it has a high moisture content and typically will get moldy and yucky. See my blog about freezing basil for more info on that. 






You'll need your herbs, string, paper bags, and a stapler (not pictured)

Wash herbs and pat dry really well (remember, moisture=mold)

Make like a bouquet with your herbs, pinch the ends and tie string tightly around them



Label your bags...


I used a staple to attach bag. You might have another method

Hang in a cool, dry, out of the way spot

Oh, and I didn't realize you're also supposed to poke holes in the bag. So be sure to do that!

I'll check them in a few weeks to see how they are doing. If there is any mold, unfortunately I'll have to throw them out.  Hopefully this works! I'll let you know!!

**Update: Here's a link after they are all dried: http://getmeamenu.blogspot.com/2011/11/drying-herbs-part-2.html


No comments:

Post a Comment