Pages

My attempts at cooking, baking and sharing those experiences with you.

Thursday, October 20, 2011

Mango Brûlée

Rarely does Shawn ask me to make something specific.

This was one of those rare occasions.

 If you know Shawn, he LOVES mango.

Ever since our honeymoon in Punta Cana, where he ate mango every chance he got. While mango back here in the US doesn't compare to that of the tropics, it's still a yummy treat when you pick the right one!

So when Shawn came home asking for me to make this super easy mango creme brûlée, I was all about it. Any excuse to use my torch.

Wash a ripe mango (one that will depress slightly to the touch)

Using a good pairing knife, cut circularly around the side of the seed..


This is an example of a mango that is too ripe! But I had another one that was just perfect 
The sides of mango

Sprinkle with sugar...

create a thin layer of sugar across the mango

Torch the sugar until slightly brown. If you don't have a torch turn your broiler on high and broil for 5-10 min

Eat!

Results? Well, I need to try this one again. I used mangos that were room temp, but I think next time I would make sure they are cold. I think that would increase the crystallization of the sugar. It's definitely worth a try though, being that it is such a quick and delish dessert option.

Oh, and FYI, mangos are related to the poison ivy family. So if you are highly allergic to poison ivy, be careful to avoid contact with the outer skin. Shawn gets this gross herpes lips whenever he does. I'm not allergic though. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment