Pages

My attempts at cooking, baking and sharing those experiences with you.

Sunday, November 6, 2011

Spaghetti Squash with Tomato Sauce

Spaghetti squash. If you're like me, the idea sounds great-a healthy vegetable alternative to pasta-but the cooking process seems like it could be overwhelming.

Well, let me prove you wrong. I made this last weekend, when we were looking for a quick and light meal.

Very easy, and yes, the texture resembles spaghetti!
Preheat oven to 450. Wash your squash. This is a rather small one, but it was perfect for just the two of us. 

Cut him in half

Using a spoon, scoop of the seeds

I used a grapefruit spoon. Either will work

Empty the guts! You can save the seeds and bake them like pumpkin seeds


Gather olive oil, salt, and pepper

Brush on, about a tablespoon or so of olive oil on each half

Sprinkle with salt and pep

Bake upside down (as pictured). I baked on aluminum foil too keep my baking sheet clean

Roast for 30-40 min. For this smaller one, it was closer to 30 min. The best way to tell if it's done? Just drag your fork through and see if it starts pulling (as seen). Taste it and see if it suits your "al dente"

A New Castle favorite. A nice, sweet sauce.

Add some sauce to a skillet on medium-high heat (for this small squash, I used about 1/2 cup

Using a fork, pull strands out of squash

Add to sauce

Mix together. It may not look very beautiful, but it is sooooo tasty! The strands were a bit shorter since I used a smaller squash

Try and get as much as you can!


Add some parm and you have a super easy and very healthy meal. You'll be surprised how much like angel hair pasta this little squash resembles!

Here's the original recipe I took mine from. I'm thinking about trying a baked spaghetti squash soon...

No comments:

Post a Comment