Pages

My attempts at cooking, baking and sharing those experiences with you.

Sunday, January 15, 2012

2 Ingredient Frozen Yogurt

 Pineapple Frozen Yogurt.

I got a lot of great gifts for Christmas this year. One that I've been extra excited about is my Kitchenaid ice cream attachment.

Well, you know, we're being all healthy as of late, so I can't go making REAL ice cream, can I (I'll save that for next month)? And we all know that frozen yogurt stores are all the rage, so I decided to jump on the trendy health bandwagon.
Just 2 ingredients. Yup, believe it or not. If you buy vanilla yogurt, it's already sweetened, so you don't have to. You could do greek yogurt, that'd be awesome. I decided to add pineapple, because, well, I had one I needed to use!






Chop up your fruit into little chunks. You could do blueberry, strawberry, etc, add some chocolate chips...the options are endless, really. You could even use canned or frozen fruit if you wanted.


 

Okay, okay, I know this is more than 2 ingredients. I didn't have to use the brown sugar, but I decided since my pineapple wasn't real sweet, that I would sauté it with a little brown sugar to sweeten it up some. 

Add my pineapple to a non-stick pan over medium-high heat. 

Add about 2 tablespoons of brown sugar....

Allow it to melt and get all gooey and bubbly. Yum. I could just eat this! 

I put my pineapple in a bowl and stuck it in the fridge to cool down. You don't want to add hot ingredients to your ice-cream while it's churning, it'll melt!

Non-frozen (but chilled) yogurt, all ready to go!

Here she is! If you have the same attachment, you must put it in the freezer for at least 15 hours ahead of time, to be sure it's all nice and frozen. It was awesome how nicely it fit into my mixer, with the cool little churning attachment. Very fun.

Turn mixer on lowest setting. Allow it to turn a few times, making sure it's going smoothly. Then add yogurt.

Watch it spin and start to solidify! I'm easily amused, sorry.

Allow yogurt to spin for at least 12-15 minutes before adding an solid ingredients. *Tip: You can add something cream based if you'd like your yogurt to be more creamy than icy. It's not necessary, but you can. I added just a splash of milk. You could do heavy crew, half and half, or whatever you have on hand. Again, it's not necessary but you can do it if you'd like. 
After 12-15 min of churning, start adding your fruit.

I spooned my pineapple in and watched it disappear into the creamy consistency. Ahhh, lovely.

There it goes!

Allow mixture to turn another 15-20 minutes. For the kitchenaid, you'll know it's done when the attachment starts clicking because it's getting to thick to turn.

He did his job!

I poured my mixture back into the container it came in. Perfect, huh? It won't be as thick as you want it still, so place it in the freezer for another 4-6 hours (if you can make it that long). 

(4-6 hours later) Ready to eat!!

Beautiful. It has that awesome tangy yogurt flavor, but is creamy like ice cream. The pineapple adds some additional tanginess.

I feel like I should be eating this on a beach somewhere, instead of at my table looking out at the snow. Oh well, I can pretend. ;)

Super easy. This will be great for summer too. I don't feel guilty about it either!
 
So you don't have an ice cream maker? Well, I've made gelato before without a maker and it still turned out pretty good! All you do is combine chilled yogurt and pineapple (or other mix in) in a large bowl. Stir together, then place in freezer friendly bowl and stick it in the freezer. Check on mixture every 30 minutes, stirring vigorously each time. Do this for about 2 hours (so you'll check on it at least 4 times). You can also place contents in a large zip lock bag and squish the mixture every 30 minutes

Lot's of new post coming this week!

What would you make if you had an ice cream maker?

No comments:

Post a Comment