Pages

My attempts at cooking, baking and sharing those experiences with you.

Monday, January 2, 2012

After Christmas Detox-Part 1

 Happy New Year!!!

I haven't posted in quite a while, partially due to the busyness that is the holidays. I don't know about you, but I ate my fill.

I truly do enjoy baking and cooking during the Christmas season. I also enjoy eating. A LOT.

Totally normal. Don't deny that you didn't do it too. Do I regret indulging over the past few weeks. Nope. Am I prepared to make some changes for a healthier January? Definitely.

The next few weeks (or so) I'll be sharing healthier recipes that will make it easier to keep up with those new years resolutions.

Shawn and I have decided to do a detox to start the year off right. A few years back, we did a 3 day fruits and veggies (only) detox. By the end of day 3, we wanted to kill each other. It was rough. This year I'm being more realistic by allowing whole wheat pasta and pita into the mix.


Can I brag on one of my Christmas gifts for a minute? Shawn bought me the 13 cup KictchenAid exact slice food processor. This is like the Cadillac of food processors. 


It can do pretty much anything in the world. Yep. Here's a little video if you don't believe me.

Today I started with something easy. A veggie marinara sauce. For two servings, all you need is a can of tomatoes (doesn't really matter if it's diced, stewed, etc.), 1 bell pepper, 3 mushrooms, handful of baby spinach, handful of kale (not pictured 2 cloves of garlic).

I used the mini bowl since it's a smaller serving, and the mini multipurpose blade. 

I added the tomatoes, gave it a couple pulses.

While on low, I added the bell pepper...

....kale....

and baby spinach.


Made sure it was all combined 
It may not look super pretty!

I spooned out my marinara sauce into a medium saucepan over medium heat, and then boiled my whole wheat pasta 

Drained pasta, added sauce...

Looks pretty hearty, right?

This pasta is FULL of flavor. Not to mention, super healthy greens.


This is a great way to hide some of those less attractive greens (i.e. kale) while still getting the veggies you need. You could add onions, carrots, squash, artichoke hearts...the list is endless!!

This will also keep you full. Which is especially important when you are starting a healthy eating plan. The more you stay full and enjoy what you are eating, the more likely you will stick with it! 



No comments:

Post a Comment