Pages

My attempts at cooking, baking and sharing those experiences with you.

Monday, January 2, 2012

Detox- Ziplock Smoothies

 Smoothies.

Smoothies can be another great way to get in the daily recommended amount of veggies and fruits. Plus, you can hide things that you may not be such a fan of, but are super health foods.

Fresh fruits and vegetables can be very expensive (especially if they aren't in season) and don't last long after they are ripe. Here's some tips for buying healthy stuff that's affordable, but not lacking on the nutrients you need:

-Buy frozen: frozen produce is typically frozen at the pick of ripeness. That means, you are getting the most out of the vitamins/minerals

-Get what's on sale or what's in season: I bought cranberries because they are super cheap after Christmas.

I got this huge bag of mixed fruit. It's a great 'base' fruit for my smoothies.

Cranberries!

Here's another secret. Adding spinach to your smoothie is an excellent way to boost the vitamins/antioxidants in your smoothie, but it won't affect the flavor of your smoothie. But keep in mind, it camouflages in taste, but it will turn your smoothie green! :)

Kale. Kale is super healthy, but I wouldn't recommend for the beginning-health-smoothie-drinker. It adds a particular texture that some may not be fans of.

Greek yogurt. Provides smooth texture, sweetness, and vitamin D.

I started with 1 cup of the frozen fruit, 1/4 cup of cranberries, 1 orange, 1/2 cup of frozen spinach, and one kale leaf.

Start with your frozen stuff first. This will take a bit longer to puree than the rest. 


Then add cranberry, kale, spinach, and orange. Pulse together well. Then add1-2 tablespoons of yogurt and a splash of OJ.  
Here's my smoothie! I love the cranberry and OJ combo, it tastes like a healthy Christmas!

So smoothies are great for breakfast, but most people don't feel like going through the process of cutting everything up prior to going to work. So I decided to make individual smoothie bags. I measured out 1 cup of frozen 'base' fruit, 1/2 cup of frozen spinach, and 1/4 a cup of cranberries.



I made enough for a week. In the morning, all I have to do is pop these in my food processor (or blender) and add yogurt. I also have fresh fruit that I can incorporate that will keep it from getting boring. Wheat germ and flax seed are also great things that I will add.

Ridiculously easy and healthy! Get in a full serving (plus) of fruits and vegetables before your day even begins. 

3 comments:

  1. Carlie,
    I had no idea that you and your husband had a blog! I love it! I have been looking for some detoxes and smoothies/juices that I could do in my new food processor that I got for Christmas. Love this one! So excited to try it out! Can't wait to see ya soon! Keep posting and I'll keep following!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haha well I mainly do it, Shawn just eats (for the most part). Did you get a food processor too?? Must have been a big year for them. :) I hope you had a great Christmas! I just went back to my internship today, it was tough. I am excited to get this semester started though!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. this dosnt look that good but ill have to try it !

    ReplyDelete